Dr. Lauren K. McCoy, R. Psych.
Registered Psychologist #5169
member of the College of Alberta Psychologists (C.A.P.) & the Psychologists' Association of Alberta (P.A.A.)
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Counselling Psychology
University of Calgary (one of only five PhD counselling programs in Canada accredited by the Canadian Psychological Association)
Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Counselling Psychology
University of Calgary; thesis-based program
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) with Specialization & Industrial Internship in Psychology
University of Alberta
approved provider within the Mental Health Network (MHN) for High Performance Sport in Canada
- Owner and Founder of Actualize Psychological Services (private practice; Edmonton & St. Albert)
- University Counselling & Clinical Services (pre-doctoral internship/residency; University of Alberta)
- Adult Outpatient Mental Health (Alberta Health Services, Calgary)
- Single Session, Walk-In Counselling (Alberta Health Services, Calgary)
- College Counselling Centre (Alberta University of the Arts, formerly named Alberta College of Art & Design)
- Teaching Assistant for Group Counselling and Counselling Intervention courses (University of Calgary)
- Masters and PhD research focused on athletes’ experiences of athletic career transition following athletic retirement
- Over a decade of experience as National Certification Coaching Program (NCCP) trained and certified Professional Figure Skating Coach (Edmonton & Calgary)
Additional Post-Graduate Counselling Certifications & Trainings
- Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) for PTSD with Dr. Candice Monson; recognized with CPT Provider Status
- Prolonged Exposure (PE) Therapy for PTSD with Dr. David Paul
- Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) with Dr. Elna Yadin
- Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR) for Recent Traumatic Events (EMDR R-TEP protocol) with Dr. Judy Moench
- Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR) with Dr. Marshall Wilensky & Dr. Judy Moench
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy Training: From a Solid Foundation to the Leading Edge of Practice with Lance Taylor, MSc., R.Psych
- Treating Complex Trauma: Clinical and Scientific Innovations with Dr. Christine Courtois, A.B.P.P.
- Dialectical Behavior Skills (DBT) Skills Training with Dr. Marsha Linehan (online via Psychwire/BehavioralTech)
McCoy, L. K. (2018). Conceptualizing athletic career transitions with the holistic athletic career model. In N. Arthur, R. Neault, & M. McMahon (Eds.), Career theory and models at work: Ideas for practice.
McCoy, L. K. & Arthur, N. (2017). Examining the athletic career experiences of Canadian major junior hockey players. Canadian Journal of Career Development, 16(2), 38-43.
McCoy, L. K. (2017). Longitudinal qualitative research and interpretative phenomenological analysis: Philosophical connections and practical considerations. Qualitative Research in Psychology, 14(4), 442-458.
Yeah...okay, but what is Dr. Lauren ACTUALLY like?
- Dr. Lauren was born and raised in Edmonton and received over 10 years of post-secondary training at the University of Alberta and the University of Calgary.
- Clients and colleagues describe her as discerning, direct, honest, and insightful. Dr. Lauren's approach is based in evidence-based techniques and she's committed to educating clients on the therapy approaches that have been research-proven to help with their concerns. She takes a directive approach that focuses on skill development so that clients can leave therapy with skills that can be used to facilitate future wellness and success. That said, Dr. Lauren is also down-to-earth and not afraid to use her dry sense of humour or her “tell it like it is” objectivity to facilitate rapport with clients.
- Would we be a good “fit"?
- Dr. Lauren works well with clients that:
- know what they want to change or need to change (even if that feels hard, scary, stressful)
- are motivated to shift their thinking and/or behavior
- are looking to understand and make sense of patterns of thinking and/or behavior in their lives (and learn how to stop those problematic patterns)
- are ready to learn and try new practical coping strategies
- want a goal oriented approach to therapy
- are ready and eager to complete between session tasks (aka. homework)
- Dr. Lauren works well with clients that:
Want to learn more about Dr. Lauren?
Actualize offers FREE 15 minute phone consultations to determine client-therapist fit!
As no one else can know how we perceive, we are the best experts on ourselves.